POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Getting the right finish : Re: Getting the right finish Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting the right finish
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 7 Jan 2003 20:19:50
Message: <3e1b7cb6@news.povray.org>
gonzo <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote in message news:web.3e18ca874b2
> Well, as you said, a lot of it depends on whats in the scene. But what I
> often do when I'm testing a scene so not all the objects are there yet, or
> when I don't want a slooow reflection making my test render needlessly
> long, is give it a low reflection value and a high specular value. This
> shows off contours and highlights, gives me some idea of how reflection
and
> lighting are playing with the surface, but renders quickly and looks
> acceptable. (Sometimes good enough that I forget to change it in the
> final...)
>
> RG - if Microsoft had invented senility, it wouldn't be a problem, it
would
> be a feature

I agree with gonzo that specular helps with this some. It gives it a
polished look sort of, instead of a reflective look. like a black polished
shoe, it doesnt relfect (atleast mine dont) but it still has some quality
about it that makes you think its shiney. If i have an object that i think
might be shiney or reflective i start with a specular of 0.35

as for making something look transparent without making it transparent? i
dont know anything about that :)

ross